This green bean casserole recipe is rich and creamy. Made from scratch with fresh green beans, mushrooms, cream and cheese. A must have side dish on Thanksgiving.
Green Bean Casserole, the first recipe that comes to mind when I start thinking about Thanksgiving. Maybe it’s the crunchy onions? Maybe it’s the fact that I always seem to have a harvest of fresh colorful green beans around this time of year, or maybe, because it’s just soooo good.
Honestly, green beans are probably my least favorite vegetable, but green bean casserole is a must have dish on Thanksgiving. Something about the creamy, mushroomy goodness topped with crunchy onions…. paired with a little turkey and cranberry sauce. 🤤
I make this recipe every year. It’s simple and delicious. It’s not as easy as mixing cans of green beans with cans of condensed soup, but I promise it’s worth the extra effort!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Fresh Green Beans
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- All Purpose Flour
- White Wine
- Shredded Cheese
- Crunchy Onions
WHAT TO DO:
Start by bringing a large pot of salted water to boil.
Next– trim the ends of your green beans and cut them in 1-2 inch pieces.
Now- Prepare an ice bath (large bowl of ice water)
Boil green beans for just a minute before shocking them in an ice bath to stop the cooking. This will give your green beans the perfect texture.
Set green beans aside and make The Sauce.
To make The Sauce– Slice mushrooms, onions and mince garlic.
Melt butter and olive oil in a medium size Sauce Pan.
Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter and olive oil until soft and fragrant.
Add herbs, salt and peppers.
Stir in flour and continue to cook and stir until everything starts to stick.
Add white wine and cook for 1-2 minutes to cook off the alcohol.
Stir in half and half.
Continue to stir until The Sauce is thick.
In a large bowl, combine green beans, sauce and shredded cheese.
Transfer to a prepared baking dish and top with crunchy onions.
Cover with foil and bake in a pre-heated oven @ 350º for 30 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes to get those onions even crunchier.
Let this cool and set before you dig in!
Green Bean Casserole
- 2 lb green beans trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 cup onion sliced thin
- 1 tbsp galic minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 pint half n half
- 2 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 2 cup crunchy onions
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Prepare a large bowl with ice water.
- Add green beans to boiling water, boil for 1 minute.
- Transfer green beans to ice water to cool.
- Drain green beans and set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, onions and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sea salt, peppers, thyme, rosemary and flour, stir until smooth.
- Continue stirring for a couple minutes.
- Stir in white wine and cream.
- Let simmer a few more minutes or until thick.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° and prepare an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine green beans with mushroom cream sauce and sharp cheddar.
- Transfer green beans to prepared baking dish and top with crunchy onions.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.