This strawberries & cream French Toast recipe with crunchy pecans is tart, sweet, creamy and absolutely perfect on a Sunday Morning.
I’ve never really been a sweets for breakfast kind a girl. I mean, sweets before, after or during is fine, but give me some Huevos Rancheros or Biscuits and Gravy on Sunday Morning! However, after making this with a side of bacon, my Sunday Morning’s may never be the same again!
Sunday, I pop a sheet pan of bacon in the oven, before I even know what I’m gonna do with it. It’s like Taco Tuesday, guarantee to have Tacos (or something spicy served in a tortilla) and Sunday’s are guarantee to have bacon 🥓!
First I whisked up some eggs, milk, a big ol’ splash of vanilla, just a bit of brown sugar and a pinch of salt.
Next, I soaked each piece of bread in my egg mixture and lined a cookie sheet with the wet bread, pouring the remaining egg mixture over the bread.
Next, I took my dogs for their morning hike while the bread and egg mixture bonded (about 30 minutes) … may or may not be necessary 🙂
I pulled out my stand mixer and my little mini food processor. I mixed together the cream cheese with some powdered sugar and grass fed butter. Meanwhile, I chopped some strawberries and pecans in the mini….. then combined the two for the perfect French Toast Filling!
I separated the filling among half the the bread slices coating them evenly with about 1/2 inch thick layer of filling then topped it with the other slices of bread.
I fried these bad boys in a little bit of grape seed oil over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side.
These looked super messy and I was so nervous they were gonna be sloppy and unappetizing….. boy was that unnecessary! This French Toast is Fantastic!! The filling looks like a lot, but it melts into the bread so good and after finishing the leftovers, cold, on Monday morning…. I realized this dish is a winner!
Serve with a side of bacon or sausage for a complete and satisfying breakfast. I served it with scrambled eggs as well, but that was over the top, too much food! FYI 😉
Strawberries and Cream French Toast
- Stand Mixer
- Mini Food Processor
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk regular or non dairy
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 slices bread
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup strawberries about 8
- ½ cup pecans
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, brown sugar and salt.
- Dunk each slice of bread in egg mixture a few times to generously coat.
- Line a cookie sheet with wet bread, cover with remaing mixture and set aside.
- Chop strawberries and pecans together into a crumble consistancy, set aside.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar.
- Add strawberry and pecan crumble to cream cheese mixture and fold together.
- Seperate filling among 4 peices of soaked bread, spreading evenly to the edges/
- Top with remaining 4 slices of soaked bread.
- Heat grapeseed oil over medium/medium low heat in a large fry pan or griddle.
- Fry for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve with maple syrup and whipped cream~ enjoy!